8/5/13—19:32 (On a Bus Called Federal
Rapido on the way to Palmeiras)
I am on a bus parked in Lençois,
meaning the next stop is mine! By the time I arrive it will have been about 7-8
hours since I first boarded at 13:00. It was a really easy drive though, the
bus is very nice and comfortable and we made a few stops to stretch and eat. It
is dark now and I am overwhelmed by the starry night. I have never seen the
heavens with such clarity…
Yesterday was pretty crazy. I woke up
at 05:00 on 8/4 and was driven to the wrong airport. So I missed my flight
unfortunately. At this point I became a tad nervous. Luckily I was able to buy
another ticket for about $250 and I would still arrive in Salvador the same
day. My original flight was for 08:00 and my new one was for 10:00 so I was
still on time for my 13:00 pickup time with my internship. However, after an
easy two hour flight I arrived to find no one waiting for me. This sucked. But
I never get too worried when traveling because in the end everything works out,
unpleasant disturbances, like missing a flight, can lead to extremely pleasant
circumstances…
So I found a free(for 30 minutes) wifi
hotspot and was able to reach my contact via Skype. She was very responsive and
apologetic about the situation. She mixed up the days of my arrival by accident
and had scheduled my pickup and bus trip for the following day. She then
instructed me to take a taxi, which she later refunded, to the Proworld
Headquarters in Salvador. One hour later the taxi pulled up to a tiny street
that merged into a single person walkway. As I walked, houses were on my left,
and on my right was an endless view of the South Atlantic Ocean. Once I entered
my destination, I did not want to leave. Despite the critters and creepy
crawlers the atmosphere and the people I met were quite amazing. I wound up
spending the day with two other interns/volunteers, Joe(from Wisconsin) and
Carolina(from France). We walked on the beach, went swimming in the warm ocean
waters, drank a few beers and watched the sunset behind Salvador’s historic
lighthouse. It was the most perfect day and the most fun I had so far in
Brazil. Out on the green in front of the lighthouse and on the beach people
were playing futebol and guitar, eating, drinking and conversing: simply
enjoying life. I not only love social public areas like that, but I deeply
understand their vital importance in sustaining healthy communities.
I woke up at 07:00 on 8/5 ate
breakfast and participated in the morning’s Portuguese class. We took a short
walk on the beach then I departed for my eight hour journey to Palmeiras and
Chapada Diamantina.
| This is the view from the porch of Proworld Headquarters in Salvador |
| The Sunset Behind the Light House |
- Alec
No comments:
Post a Comment