Friday, August 9, 2013

I'm in love with this city Oaxaca, Mexico!


AMIGOS DEL SOL

Clase de Espanol es muy importante! A big portion of this program, we spent our time in Spanish Class! We attended class three times a week and our focus in class was on medical terminology! I enjoyed our time here in school because I was able to learn about things that I didn't really understand throughout my day. Plus, the building was located in the area of San Felipe de Aqua and the view was spectacular! 

  OUR WEEKEND 
IN ARRAZOLA

Another weekend excursion to explore outside the city was to Arrazola! This weekend I was welcomed to a new home with a new homestay family! I lived with a family of artesanias that were known for their alebrijes. Alebrijes are a famous craft in this region of Oaxaca. We specifically visited a group called Eco-Alebrijes who shared with us their personal goals and live styles. One of the main missions of the EcoAlebrijes is to provide economic opportunities for the people so they don’t have to migrant away from Oaxaca. Alebrijes are wooden cravings from the copal tree that can be painted using various vivid colors to represent different things. Some typical cravings include animals like armadillo, dogs, fish, and of course the chapulines. (Chapulines translate to grasshopper)!! We were shown how they make these creations using simple tools. It was different to visit Arrazola because this community was under developed compared to the homestays that we were housed. Particular my home it was like living in the valley and the roads were all dirt. The homes did not have running water all the time so they kept a big pool of water to use for bathing and cooking when there is not water. Yet, these families lived such a family life. During our stay, we helped plant copal trees along the main road to enter the town. We always cleaned the area freeing it from liter around the main entrance and the parks! On our last day in Arrazola, we were challenge to take a hike with the family and climb up to Monte Alban. The hike took us about an hour and it was steep, hot, and there were a bunch of trees and shrubs everywhere. But the view on top was so worth it all.

            MONTE ALBAN 
When we reached to the top of Monte Alban, a feeling took over my body of success and  happiness because the view was breathtaking. I could see the sky met the mountain tops and fill it with the clouds and I loved every minute of it. At the top we tooked a tour of the different pyramids, ruins, and tombs! The sight was magnificent!  


BOMBEROS 
How could I go to Oaxaca and not visit the firehouse! Shortly after I was at Arrazolla I began to think “what ifs” and my thoughts led me to think where the fire stations were located. I volunteer at my local first aid Squad at home and we work closely with the firefighters so I realized that I had not seen a fire truck. I took an adventure to find the closes fire house and met some incredible people! They gave me a tour of the facility and  made me feel so welcomed. I wish I had a badge to give to them from my squad because they gave me one of there fire t-shirts. 


I'm loving Equinoterapia! 

I love going to my site placement because I get to work with adorable children and awesome horses! The two main horses that are used for therapy are Gelato and Sicaro! I love getting to the site and brushing them clean before they start there day working. Typically each session goes for 30 minutes and the horses are locked into constantly moving around. Sometimes I wish there were carrots or apples I could bring to give them a treat. The horses work so well with the children that it makes me happy. In the picture to the right, you will find me with one of the children I worked with. I was helping him with his leg lifts. Sometimes children don't want to go on the horse or begin to cry. It is an awesome feeling to ride with them and have them trust you enough to become comfortable and at the end of the session you can see there joy and smiles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment