Thursday, June 27, 2013

Visiting the field sites in Kilpisjarvi and Norway

Hi everyone, the last two weeks have been pretty busy for me and I haven’t had much of a chance to post anything.  Last week I went on a sampling trip to collect samples from field sites located in Kilpisjarvi in the most northwestern part of Finland as well as from a site located in Reisa, Norway.  This trip was to collect soil samples and help with projects that were being done by other people in Metla that I was traveling with.  The trip was about a 6 hour car ride from Rovaniemi to Kilpisjarvi, it was interesting to see how the landscape changed as we went further up north.  On the way there I saw my first reindeer!  After that I saw about 20 more on my trip.   I also got a chance to stop in Sweden for about 5 minutes.

Reindeer!

At Kilpisjarvi, we stayed in the biological station that is part of the University of Helsinki where they had rooms available for people who were doing field work.  After arriving, we had dinner and went to bed so we could get up at 2 am to hike to the site to start our fieldwork.  For this work we needed to measure the amount of carbon dioxide that was being utilized by plants in the sample plots, which meant we had to carry these large plastic tubs that we placed on the plots.  The hike was about an hour, but I am not used to hiking so it was pretty tiring.  Even though I was tired it was still a beautiful landscape and I took lots of pictures of it.

These were the things we were carrying to measure CO2

Some of the scenery from Kilpisjarvi
 After we got back we spent the rest of the day in Kilpisjarvi and more trip up the field site were made (but not by me).  The next morning we left to continue the trip 3 hours north into Norway to get the the site in Reisa.  The change in scenery once arriving in Norway was pretty drastic and the fjords were beautiful.

Fjords in Norway

It's more beautiful in person!

We stayed in a cottage that was close to the sampling sites.  It was small and cozy and there was a Sauna in the bathroom!  We made a trip to the field site to fertilize sampling plots and then we went back to the cottage and I had my first sauna experience.

Me at the site in Reisa fertilizing the sample plots

There were beautiful small flowers growing everywhere in Reisa

The next day we returned to the site to take soil samples and then we headed back to Rovaniemi not long afterwards.  The car ride was about 8 hours long and I was glad to get back and relax.  That weekend was Midsummer so I had an extended weekend to rest. Now it is back to lab work and continuing my project, which I am looking forward to doing. -Beryl


No comments:

Post a Comment