Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Last Au Revoir: Cheese & Wine Withdrawl (also baguette)

It's been almost three days since I've returned from France, and I can honestly say I am going through cheese and wine withdraw. Help! (Where the fresh goat cheese at?) I went to the Fancy Food Show summer event yesterday, and I was so disappointed with the American cheeses...my taste bud's expectations have become too mighty for me to control. There is a happy ending to my story however. Luckily, the exhibition had a France department where I found some authentic Epoisses and goat cheese to sample! It was the absolute highlight of my day. Also worth mentioning is that I couldn't stop saying "excusez-moi" when bumping into people at the show. Sigh...just when I finally got the hang of it. Excusez-moi, parlez-vous français?

I think the thing I will remember and miss the most about France is the lifestyle. It's a very broad answer, but the way French people do things is much more relaxed. They seem to be taking their time and enjoying the fresh air more than Americans. I will miss our 2 hour lunches where we not only eat but really get to learn about one another. And I will undoubtedly miss the pistachio everything. This program needs to be longer! 


One of the many little group activities we did was saying our first impressions of one another (and also the lasting ones we left) and what we learned most about ourselves during the trip. For me, I learned that I see myself most clearly when I can stand apart from all the unnecessary things I bind myself to. Cluny has really taught me to fall in love with traveling. I'm actually hoping to travel at least two more times this summer. That's the plan!

Before

After 

Haha I love the comparison. You can really see how we have become such an eclectic family. I could not imagine this trip being what it was without them. I miss seeing everyone bright and early in the morning. Baguette in one hand and chocolat chaud in the other. That strawberry jam...I miss that too.

A big hug and thanks to the SEBS International department, all of our families, and the professors. Thank you for the financial support with which a majority of us could not attend this wonderful program. Parents, thank you for embarrassing us and calling our professors to check up on us! Just kidding, we actually missed you a lot. And last but not least, Dr. Haggblom, Dr. Healy, and Dr. Reinert, thank you for everything you have taught us the past two weeks. Through all the laughs and struggles to stay awake on the bus, we really could not imagine Cluny experience without any of you.

Travel advice for next year's class:

  • Bring lactase pills. The worse thing that could happen is that you figure out you're lactose intolerant during the trip. The pills are quite pricey in France. 
  • Cluny Sejour, the hostel, is very clean! No need to bring bed sheets or pillow cases unless you really insist. Save luggage space for goodies to bring home! 
  • Don't bring your Cluny book. Bring a small notebook, pen or pencil, and your small cheese guide book. (Also, it might be useful to bring a USB if you don't plan on bringing your laptop but want to make a powerpoint for your final project.)
  • Layers, layers, and layers. It was incredibly hot the first week we were there, but slightly chilly the following week. I was really happy I brought at least one scarf to snuggle my face into when it was cold. 
Lastly, let go of your insecurities and prenotions. Don't be scared, but be excited. You're going to have an incredible time that you'll remember every time you swirl that wine glass to smell the fresh apples during the summer time (hah you guys from the trip probably know what I'm talking about). Be yourself, make friends with everyone in the program, try all the speciality cuisines, speak French even with an accent that completely butchers the language, and embrace yourself for a once in a lifetime experience. 

Au revoir,

Christina Kim
The Microbiology and Culture of Cheese and Wine, Summer '13



No comments:

Post a Comment