We had our first lecture on the History of Applied Microbiology. We learned the difference between respiration and fermentation as well as the steps for glycolysis. I found the lecture really informing since I haven’t yet taken any microbiology nor biochemistry classes and this will help prepare me for it. Last night, we had homework from Professor Healy to learn some French phrases that will help us get by with buying and ordering food in France. We were able to put our knowledge to the test when Professor Haggblom brought us to a local restaurant for lunch. In Cluny all the stores close from the time period of 12-2pm. This is because people here have a two-hour lunch break during that time. After lunch, we were introduced to Professor Reinert, who gave us a historical tour down the streets of Cluny.
Closing into the late afternoon, we arrived at the local winery. The owner, Amy, was friends with Professor Healy and gave us a wine tasting. We tried four types of Burgundy Wine: Chardonnay and Aligote are white wine, Gamay and Pinot Noir are red wine.
After the wine tasting, our class went to dinner and tried the escargot. Personally, I loved the taste of butter and garlic enriched into the snail meat. It was hard to imagine that the snail we saw crawling on rocks prior could have been so delicious!
Today was a great day; I’m surprised by how much we were able to fit into one day. Currently while I’m writing this blog, I am watching the movie, Up, with the rest of the class. I find it as a great way to end the day after a long day of travels. Talk to you soon!

















-
Victoria Lee
No comments:
Post a Comment