Monday, July 29, 2013

The beginning of our cheese and wine journey

July 4, 2013

I love the class so far! It is set up so that we have the microbiology lectures in the morning with Dr. Haggblom, and then after two hours of lunch break, we get together for the cultural and the history portion of cheese and wine with Dr. Healey and Dr. Reinhart.

We have toured the town really well in the past few days. The Cellier de Abbey is the wine shop in Cluny where we had our first tasting. We learned about the Burgundian grape varieties and the techniques of smelling and tasting wine.


We also visited a goat farm at Madame Bourdon’s (they have a beautiful garden) and tasted delicious goat cheeses. My favorite was the youngest cheese – you could almost taste the goat in your mouth!


The one thing that I absolutely wish would stay the same when I get back home is the two hour meals. It is so amazing that everything closes down in town (except the restaurants) for a two-hour lunch every day. The maximum time I have ever spent on a meal at Rutgers is 30 minutes. How do they do it?

- Khamoshi

No comments:

Post a Comment