Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Nairobi

August 1, 2013


Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya. We spent the first day here waiting for everyone's flights to arrive. It felt like I had traveled back in time because the airplane and cars were old European models I remembered from my childhood and many of the songs on the radio were 90's hits. It was actually comforting, and I found the Kenyan people to be incredibly welcoming. I felt like I belonged despite the fact that I was a stranger in a foreign land. It's an enormous contrast to the United States, where sometimes people go out of their way to make others feel like they do not belong as a status symbol.

Jomo Kenyatta International Airport

Most of all, I was shocked by how cold it was! This was winter season, which in Nairobi meant that it was chilly but still hot in the sun because we were so close to the equator. If I had to do this over again, I would make sure to bring more pants and sweaters.













No comments:

Post a Comment