Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kenya Will Stay With Me Forever

August 30, 2013

I remember a student asking one of our instructors Dr. Hockings what readjusting to American society might be like, and she said, "You will realize that a lot of things you thought were important actually aren't."

It's not possible for me to describe how I feel about the entire experience any other way. Even reading my posts before I left, I am a different person now. I feel like I've grown up, especially academically. There's an enormous world out there to learn about, and here I was obsessing over the details of a shopping trip.


Over the past month I have realized that evolution, ecological science and conservation work is what I want to do with my life. It was magical - I felt just like Darwin when he was considering leaving science and medicine behind to become an Anglican priest, only to come to know his true passion while abroad. I've learned how important it is to say less and mean more, and to work really hard for something meaningful.

Think Globally - How important is what I'm doing relative to the world?

Act Locally - We are all within our means to do something.

Many thanks to the instructors: Dr. Jack Harris, Dr. Ryne Palombit, Dr. Luca Morino, Peter Fundi, Dr. Kimberly Hockings, Dr. Alfreda Ibui, Ellen Meulman and Stan Kivai. It was wonderful to get to know such brilliant people as intimately as this trip allowed.

Also, this trip would not have been a possibility for me without the scholarships I have received through the SEBS Office of International Programs and Rutgers University Study Abroad - Thank you!

I camped for a month in Africa with these amazing people!

No comments:

Post a Comment