July 29, 2013
The time has finally come for me to make this post! Nothing about this trip felt real until about a week ago, and now the reality of what I've signed up to do is kicking in. For example, these are the papers I'll be reading for over the course of the next month. It's hard to gather from the picture, but there are a lot and they are quite long. This class is no joke!
Packing for a month long camping trip was tougher than simply having to go out and buy many things; one can do that in one day with a little effort. This venture has been all about acquiring the right, ideally multi-functional, items to save space and weight, as well as money whenever possible. I found that items like this are never going to be found all in one place, not even on Amazon.
How have I managed to be an ecology major for a year without a sleeping bag, tent, binoculars, wide-brim hat and daypack? There are so many tools that have become part of the image of a "naturalist," without a proper understanding of their function. The second I began thinking about survival in the forest, in general, there was a shift in my entire life's priorities. It is hard to shop for frivolous clothing, shoes and accessories knowing that I do not have basic survival supplies around the house. I can only assume that after I see living standards defined by simplicity first hand, that feeling will grow to be much more prominent.
It will be exciting to finally meet the other students! Some people have been posting in the Facebook group, but only a handful are from Rutgers, and I do not know if they are evolutionary anthropology majors. I'm curious as to what kind of people would sign up for an unusual trip like this.
Packing for a month long camping trip was tougher than simply having to go out and buy many things; one can do that in one day with a little effort. This venture has been all about acquiring the right, ideally multi-functional, items to save space and weight, as well as money whenever possible. I found that items like this are never going to be found all in one place, not even on Amazon.
How have I managed to be an ecology major for a year without a sleeping bag, tent, binoculars, wide-brim hat and daypack? There are so many tools that have become part of the image of a "naturalist," without a proper understanding of their function. The second I began thinking about survival in the forest, in general, there was a shift in my entire life's priorities. It is hard to shop for frivolous clothing, shoes and accessories knowing that I do not have basic survival supplies around the house. I can only assume that after I see living standards defined by simplicity first hand, that feeling will grow to be much more prominent.

No comments:
Post a Comment